Disability Attorneys and Representatives

If you already have an attorney or representative, you must notify Social Security in writing stating that you wish to change representation. This is to notify the SSA of the change so that the SSA doesn't send information about your claim to a former representative or withhold benefits or payment for that representative. Any withdrawal notice must be signed by the claimant.

Can I Fire My Attorney?

As a claimant, you have the right to revoke the appointment of a representative (fire your attorney) at any time. Understand though that your current attorney can and may charge you for time spent on your claim.